Celebration of flop shows comes to Beccles Public Hall
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Lovers of musical theatre should on no account miss Flopsical!!! - a celebration of flop shows from Broadway and the West End that is coming to Beccles next month.
The history of the musical is full of shows that failed and been long forgotten, but that left us with unforgettable songs, the work of great names such as Rodgers and Hart, Noel Coward, Irving Berlin, Ivor Novello, Jerome Kern and Vincent Youmans.
Flopsical!!! is a fast-moving and funny mixture of music and stories, a bouquet of classic standards.
It features the cast that brought the popular and highly successful Cowards in the Wings - Helen McDermott and Adrian Wright, joined by Susie Turner, accompanied by Annette Jude, and interrupted by John Knowles.
The original title music is by East Anglia-based composer Nathan Williamson.
You may also want to watch:
There are treats galore, including a love song to a pony (!), a ditty in praise of wallpaper (!) and a selection of songs from probably the most notorious British musical of all time, John Osborne’s The World of Paul Slickey, numbers unheard since the show closed in 1959.
Flopsical!!! opens at Beccles Public Hall on Sunday, September 7 at 7.30pm.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 6 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
More information may be found at www.mustclosesaturday.co.uk