Celebration of flop shows comes to Beccles Public Hall
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Lovers of musical theatre should on no account miss Flopsical!!! - a celebration of flop shows from Broadway and the West End that is coming to Beccles next month.
The history of the musical is full of shows that failed and been long forgotten, but that left us with unforgettable songs, the work of great names such as Rodgers and Hart, Noel Coward, Irving Berlin, Ivor Novello, Jerome Kern and Vincent Youmans.
Flopsical!!! is a fast-moving and funny mixture of music and stories, a bouquet of classic standards.
It features the cast that brought the popular and highly successful Cowards in the Wings - Helen McDermott and Adrian Wright, joined by Susie Turner, accompanied by Annette Jude, and interrupted by John Knowles.
The original title music is by East Anglia-based composer Nathan Williamson.
You may also want to watch:
There are treats galore, including a love song to a pony (!), a ditty in praise of wallpaper (!) and a selection of songs from probably the most notorious British musical of all time, John Osborne’s The World of Paul Slickey, numbers unheard since the show closed in 1959.
Flopsical!!! opens at Beccles Public Hall on Sunday, September 7 at 7.30pm.
- 1 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 2 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 3 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 7 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 8 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 9 Youngsters aged 12 to 18 to begin receiving Covid vaccinations
- 10 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
More information may be found at www.mustclosesaturday.co.uk