Search

Changes may be made after dog's death

PUBLISHED: 10:38 16 February 2009 | UPDATED: 07:58 01 August 2010

A GOLF club in Beccles has responded to the death of a dog who became entangled in rope fencing which had been put up to protect its greens.

The Beccles and Bungay Journal reported on Friday that English springer spaniel Meggan nearly bit off her own tongue in shock when her collar got tangled in roping while she was chasing a ball.

A GOLF club in Beccles has responded to the death of a dog who became entangled in rope fencing which had been put up to protect its greens.

The Beccles and Bungay Journal reported on Friday that English springer spaniel Meggan nearly bit off her own tongue in shock when her collar got tangled in roping while she was chasing a ball.

Her owner Colin Trentham called for “dog height” roping to be taken down after Meggan, a rescue dog, had to be put down because of the amount of blood she lost.

The club puts up the ropes are put up every year to stop cattle from wandering on to the course, but were not taken down as usual in November due to problems with people driving cars over the greens.

Alan Ereira, speaking on behalf of Beccles Golf Club's committee, said he was aware of the “unfortunate” incident.

“We can't understand how a dog got tangled in the rope,” he said. “These ropes have been used on the Common for years and this is the first incident I know of.

“We feel, as do the town council, that this is a very unfortunate accident that has happened and we would not wish any harm to any animal or for an owner to go through anything like this with their pet.”

He added: “We are looking to see if there are any changes we can make to hopefully stop accidents like this from happening.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists