Weather causes changes to road closures as work continues on £1.6m roundabout at dangerous junction
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Work on a £1.6m project to improve Norfolk’s most dangerous main road junction will be completed next month as planned despite weather disruption to the schedule.
The scheme will see a new roundabout built at the junction of the A146 Beccles Road/B1136 Yarmouth Road in Hales - which the county council has previously identified as the most dangerous in the county - along with the construction of new laybys to allow buses to stop safely along the route.
A new 50mph speed limit will also be introduced along the road from just north of the petrol filling station heading southwards, extending beyond the new bus stop laybys just south of Green Lane and Green Road.
A Norfolk County Council spokesman said: “Due to the dreadful weather we experienced this winter, the schedule has inevitably slipped but we are pleased to say that this has not affected our plan to have the roundabout open by the end of May - although that could of course change if we experience any further bad weather.
“It has, however, affected the timings of the planned local road closures and we have today written to residents and the petrol station to update them with those changes. Work is also due to begin, from the last weekend in April, to complete the new bus stop arrangements. These works are essential to ensure new bus laybys are complete ahead of the road closures, which will block off the current bus routes.
“The works will take approximately two weeks, weather permitting and subject to any issues emerging during construction, and in order to minimise disruption to A146 users, two-way lights will be installed to control the traffic.
“All of the arrangements are designed to minimise disruption to local residents, businesses and general road users, and we thank people for their patience while we make this much-needed improvement to this busy road.”
As work continues, road closures will be required on both roads.
From Monday, April 30, to Saturday, May 5, the A146 Beccles Road will be closed overnight between 7pm to 6am for surfacing works.
- 1 Festival of Suffolk torch relay reaches Waveney
- 2 New Asian restaurant already fully booked a week after opening
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
- 5 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 6 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 7 Art gallery celebrating local talent to launch at site of former mill
- 8 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 9 Former bank could become vets to meet boom in pet ownership
- 10 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
The B1136 Yarmouth Road will be fully closed from Monday, April 30, to Friday, May 18, for kerbing and drainage works. During that time, Green Lane at its junction with the A146 Beccles Road will also be closed.
Two-way temporary signals will also be in place, during off peak hours, periodically from April 23 for two weeks.