Charity knitters aiming for new record glory
- Credit: Nick Butcher
After setting a record last year for the most number of hats knitted by one group, members of a Beccles day centre have been knitting around the clock to smash their target.
Eight women from The Waveney Centre decided to join the Big Knit campaign between Age UK and innocent drinks to help vulnerable older people.
The campaign calls on budding knitters to create small hats of all colours and designs to be put on the top of innocent drinks bottles. And for every drink sold, 25p will be donated to Age UK, to help older people during the cold winter months.
The Beccles team have knitted a total of 1,940 hats, around 200 more than last year’s record.
And 73-year-old Wendy Somersby of Beccles, who visits the centre with her husband almost every day, was responsible for knitting 1,002 of the collection.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I love doing it and knowing the money is going to charity makes it even better.
“It is the most I have ever knitted, but I have already started knitting for next year and I want to do 1,500 hats.”
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 7 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 8 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 9 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
The group, who have taken part in the fundraiser for the past four years, have been knitting at home since August.
Fay Baldry, centre manager, said: “Age UK supply the patterns and the ladies can make the hats out of odd bits of wool so it doesn’t cost too much.
“There is a basic pattern as well as some more intricate designs so it is suitable for all levels.
“Last year we contributed the largest amount from one place across the county and we are hoping to beat that again this year.”
Age UK is the country’s largest charity dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life. It helps more than 5m people every year providing support, companionship and advice.
Are you doing something special for charity? Email email@example.com or call 01502 712060.