Charity knitters aiming for new record glory
- Credit: Nick Butcher
After setting a record last year for the most number of hats knitted by one group, members of a Beccles day centre have been knitting around the clock to smash their target.
Eight women from The Waveney Centre decided to join the Big Knit campaign between Age UK and innocent drinks to help vulnerable older people.
The campaign calls on budding knitters to create small hats of all colours and designs to be put on the top of innocent drinks bottles. And for every drink sold, 25p will be donated to Age UK, to help older people during the cold winter months.
The Beccles team have knitted a total of 1,940 hats, around 200 more than last year’s record.
And 73-year-old Wendy Somersby of Beccles, who visits the centre with her husband almost every day, was responsible for knitting 1,002 of the collection.
She said: “I love doing it and knowing the money is going to charity makes it even better.
“It is the most I have ever knitted, but I have already started knitting for next year and I want to do 1,500 hats.”
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 5 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 6 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 7 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 MP calls for investment for east coast rail lines
- 10 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
The group, who have taken part in the fundraiser for the past four years, have been knitting at home since August.
Fay Baldry, centre manager, said: “Age UK supply the patterns and the ladies can make the hats out of odd bits of wool so it doesn’t cost too much.
“There is a basic pattern as well as some more intricate designs so it is suitable for all levels.
“Last year we contributed the largest amount from one place across the county and we are hoping to beat that again this year.”
Age UK is the country’s largest charity dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life. It helps more than 5m people every year providing support, companionship and advice.
Are you doing something special for charity? Email email@example.com or call 01502 712060.