Weekend of events planned to celebrate town’s historical charter
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A weekend of events will be held in Beccles to celebrate the town’s historical charter.
Historic boats and river trips, exhibitions, open gardens, music, special displays and more will be on offer at Charter Weekend tomorrow and Sunday.
The event, now in its fifth year, is held annually to mark the granting of the town’s historic charter by Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1584.
It will also include the first Waveney Wild Swim, with swimmers setting off from the Waveney River Centre, in Burgh St Peter on Sunday and swimming down the river for about 11.5km to Beccles Quay.
There will also be a Mayor’s Race the same day from 11am at Hippersons Boatyard which will see current mayor Elfrede Brambley-Crawshaw and former mayors Caroline Topping and Hugh Taylor ‘racing’ on water bicycles.
You may also want to watch:
Free parking and a shuttle bus to and from the town will be available from Beccles Free School.
The full programme is available online at www.becclescharterweekend.wordpress.com
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 7 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles