Young author Charlie sells copies of his short stories to raise money for charity
- Credit: Archant
A nine-year-old author is selling copies of his short stories in a bid to raise money for those less fortunate.
Charlie Rix, who attends Glebeland Community Primary School in Toft Monks, plans to split the proceeds from his stories between The Salvation Army and his school.
More than £250 has already been raised through sales of his stories The Demon Diver and The Demon Hairdresser.
In particular, Charlie wants to make a difference to the lives of the homeless, choosing The Salvation Army because “it helps a lot of other charities as well.”
He said: “I went to London with my family and saw loads of homeless people.
You may also want to watch:
“There are so many less fortunate than us and I wanted to help.”
Headteacher Clare Williams has called the pupil’s efforts “inspirational”.
- 1 Green light for new homes bid in Norfolk village
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 4 Primary school reopens after outbreak of 17 Covid cases
- 5 New mayor unveiled for Bungay
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Man admits inflicting grievous bodily harm during altercation in Bungay
- 10 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
She said: “It’s a first for the school.
“We do a lot of story writing at school but in terms of being inspired independently and thinking to sell them for charity, he is the first.
“It has helped inspire other children to write at home.”
Mrs Williams added: “We are really proud of him.”
Charlie was inspired by the work of his favourite author David Walliams - with the titles of his stories a nod to the 2013 bestseller ‘Demon Dentist’.
The budding writer said: “I like all of his books and my whole family likes him.
“His books have more descriptions than others and really help you to imagine things.”
As well as writing the stories Charlie also provides illustrations for each piece.
The Demon Hairdresser tells the tale of a moody and scary barber who shaves everyone’s hair off and forces them to eat ‘trembling toffees’ – disgusting treats which tremble so much you cannot spit them out.
While The Demon Diver charts an adventure into the myth of a ghoulish diver who may or may not dwell in a shipwreck at the bottom of the sea.
Charlie is currently planning a third instalment – The Demon Scientist – which will follow the inventor of the fearsome ‘trembling toffees’.
Copies of the stories are available at his school and The White Lion pub in Toft Monks.