Children of Chernobyl spend the day in Beccles on final leg of their visit
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A group of youngsters visiting East Anglia on a trip organised by a charity supporting children of Chernobyl have spent the day in Beccles.
Eight children from a region of Belarus affected by the nuclear disaster have spent four weeks in Norfolk and Suffolk, thanks to the Chet and Waveney Link of the Chernobyl Children’s Life Line (CCLL).
And on Tuesday, the group spent the day in Beccles, learning all about the town hall and town council before enjoying a free ice cream at Twyfords and cooling off at the lido.
The children will be going back home to Belarus this weekend after a farewell party tonight.
Diane Dungate, activities organiser for the link said: “It has all gone very quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“They are a wonderful group of children and we have had a wonderful time with them and we’ve been really impressed with the amount of English they have learnt.
“We have had a lot of support from a lot of people giving their time to allow the children to do a host of activities, as well as local businesses and other organisations.
- 1 Wanted Beccles man arrested in London
- 2 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 3 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 4 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 5 Bell Tower reopens offering panoramic views of Waveney Valley
- 6 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Vaccine centres offering walk-in jabs across East Suffolk this week
- 9 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 10 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
“It’s incredible - and the children have had a lovely time.”
During their last week in the region, the children also visited Africa Alive! in Kessingland, spent a day being entertained in Loddon Library and have made memory books to take home as keepsakes of their special trip.
They have spent the past four weeks living with host families in the area, and also had eyesight tests and a visit to the dentist.
The link hopes to host a group again next year.
Are you organising a special trip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org