Club welcomes new players ahead of game
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Some of Germany’s finest female cricketers will be travelling to Topcroft for the third year running.
And the Topcroft’s ladies cricket team are hoping to make the visit even more special by encouraging new players to join and spectators to show their support.
The club will be hosting the friendly game with German Ladies Cologne International Cricket Club next Friday, June 24.
Topcroft ladies started playing competitively in the league two years ago wearing the boys’ under-17s kit, but with the help of Bungay Lions last year they received sponsorship for their own kit.
And now the hope is to encourage more ladies to join the team, as well as attracting girls to take up the sport.
You may also want to watch:
The team train on Friday evenings, and on Monday evenings the Topcroft field is filled with youngsters from ages five to 13. However at present, only four girls attend and play mixed cricket with the boys. Kate Thompson, one of the coaches, is hoping to form an all-girls team to play in a girls league.
Cissie Waters, aged 12, said: “I’ve been playing cricket with Topcroft for three years now and I really enjoy it.
- 1 Man makes comments to 18-year-old before kissing her hand in Bungay
- 2 Village pub opens brand new café
- 3 Traffic starting to build after crash in Beccles
- 4 Gull numbers 'highest in years' as town to use drones to investigate issue
- 5 Staff shortages hit Beccles Lido opening hours
- 6 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 7 New shop sells items made by people who learnt crafts in lockdown
- 8 School Trust's new teacher training programme launches
- 9 Pinocchio the £6,700 pedigree bull smashes cattle market's price record
- 10 Use torches rather than streetlights in rural areas, says climate adviser
“I would love for more girls to join and for there to be a girls only team. It’s OK playing with the boys but I would love for more girls to get involved. It’s a great summer sport, it’s really friendly and we have a lot of fun.”
The ladies match will start at 6pm at Topcroft Playing Field and there will also be a bar and barbecue.
Lisa Waters, part of Topcroft Ladies Cricket Team, said: “The German game will be an ideal opportunity for all to come along, enjoy the ladies game, and have a fun taster session with some of our players and coaches.”
To find out about joining email email@example.com