Committee is determined to build new skate park in Beccles
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The committee working to build a new skate park in Beccles have vowed to keep up momentum on the campaign.
A skate fete was recently held at the current park on Beccles Common, which raised another £700 towards the new facilities.
And the committee has said it shows just how much the community is behind the project.
Ash Lever of Smash Skates said: “We had over 200 people turn out for it and it just shows how many people there are in the community who support it.”
The committee is looking at applying for funding from the likes of Sport England and the Big Lottery Fund to secure enough money to build the new facilities - which are likely to cost around £150,000.
You may also want to watch:
The money will replace the wooden skate park in Common Lane with a modern concrete park.
The committee have also been approached by local businesses and charities offering to support the scheme by providing extra facilities like benches and bins.
- 1 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 2 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 7 New book chronicles one of the most tragic rail collisions in history
- 8 Business grants of up to £25,000 on offer to Covid-hit companies
- 9 50 unmissable nights out in Suffolk
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
“The money is out there,” said Mr Lever. “It’s just finding it, and they do want to see that we’ve got the support of the local council and the local community - which we do.
“We’ve been really overwhelmed by the support we’ve had.”
And it is that support that has made the committee determined to see the project through.
Committee chairman Nik Rose said: “We’re not going to stop, we want to keep the momentum going. We’re still fighting for this and we’re still determined to make it happen.
“I wouldn’t have started this if I wasn’t going to follow it through.”
Are you trying to improve facilities in Beccles? Email email@example.com