Daughters get set for cycle trek in memory of mother
- Credit: Archant
Two sisters will be taking on a 150 mile cycling challenge over three days to remember their mother who died from cancer nearly a year ago.
Jo Ivens and Jennifer Brewin will be starting their trek on June 4 from the Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research Unit at the University College Hospital London where their mother, Christina Crease, received pioneering treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 1987.
Mrs Crease, who was a popular figure in Loddon and was involved in organising various events for the town including carnival parades, died on June 5, 2014 from Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
They will finish at Norfolk and Waveney cancer charity Big C’s Family Support Centre at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital - a charity their mother was very fond of.
“Mum was a big supporter of Big C and organised family fancy dress parades in aid of the charity,” said Mrs Ivens, who now lives in Brighton.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be a positive thing to do on her anniversary. It’s a slightly extreme endeavour but it is something mum would have come up with.”
On June 6 the women will stop off at The White Horse in Chedgrave at 11am to collect more sponsorship and friends will join them for the last leg of the ride.
- 1 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 2 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 3 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 4 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 5 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 6 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 7 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 8 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 9 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
Mrs Ivens added: “A lot of people in Loddon knew mum because she was very involved in community life. I’m nervous but this ride reflects the journey and fight mum had.
“She was so determined and optimistic.”
To sponsor Jo and Jennifer, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Mightyride
Are you taking part in a fundraising challenge? Email firstname.lastname@example.org