Day of Dance will return to Halesworth
After the success of its first ever event, Halesworth’s Day of Dance will be returning to the town on March 12.
Last year, 15 Morris, Molly and Rapper sides descended on the town, which was well-supported by the community with the Scouts, Edgar Sewter Primary School and even the local community bus pitching in.
The second Day of Dance will be spread across five venues - Market Square, the White Swan, The Angel, The White Hart and the Thoroughfare Bridge.
It will also feature the debut performance of Halesworth’s own side, the Halesworth Morris Monkeys, made up of pupils of Edgar Sewter School who have been learning a mixture of Molly dancing and Border Morris.
Organiser Zoe-Anne Wadey said: “Initially the event was to be a one off, but local businesses were so pleased that the town council has decided to support this as an annual event.”
You may also want to watch:
Last year’s event started with breakfast at Tilly’s 1920s cafe, followed by four mass dances in the market square.
The dance programme was put together by Jan Robinson which made sure that all sides got a chance to dance, and all sides danced at all five venues at the local pubs, some of which provided refreshments for the dancers. It finished with a relaxing evening event at the Rifle Hall where each side provided some form of entertainment including Ceilidh dancing, folk singing and even a sand dance.
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 3 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 9 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 10 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
The 2016 Halesworth Day of Dance will run from 10am to 4pm, starting with a mass dance in the market square, followed by a parade through the Thoroughfare which will drop off sides at their starting venues.