Deadline for nominations tomorrow
NOMINATIONS for candidates in next month's local elections for Waveney District Council close at noon tomorrow.Normally a third of the council's 48 seats are contested, but this year there are 17 seats up for grabs as there is an extra by-election at Carlton Colville.
NOMINATIONS for candidates in next month's local elections for Waveney District Council close at noon tomorrow.
Normally a third of the council's 48 seats are contested, but this year there are 17 seats up for grabs as there is an extra by-election at Carlton Colville.
Currently the council is under Conservative control with the Tories having 30 seats, Labour 12, Liberal Democrats two, Independents two and one Green. There is one vacancy following former Liberal Democrat leader David Young leaving Lowestoft last year to live in France.
Of the 17 seats being contested on Thursday, May 1, the Conservatives are defending 12, Labour four and Liberal Democrats one.
You may also want to watch:
Elections will be taking place across Waveney at Beccles North, Beccles South, Bungay, Carlton, Carlton Colville, Gunton and Corton, Halesworth, Harbour, Kessingland, Kirkley, Normanston, Oulton Broad, Pakefield, Southwold and Reydon, St Margaret's and Whitton.
Applications, amendments or cancellations of postal votes must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Town Hall, High Street, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 1HS by 5pm on Wednesday, April 16.
- 1 Man found after going missing for 10 days
- 2 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 3 Woman's virtual head shave in memory of loved ones lost to cancer
- 4 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 5 5 amazing Norfolk properties for if you win the lottery
- 6 Market town assault left victim 'quivering and shaking on the floor'
- 7 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 8 School warning after social media post about girls being approached
- 9 Drivers facing long delays on A146 due to roadworks
- 10 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
Applications to vote by proxy, on the grounds of physical incapacity, have to reach the same address by 5pm on Wednesday, April 23.
Waveney District Council's monitoring officer Arthur Charvonia will act as the returning officer for the local elections.