Death of woman found in river is not believed to be suspicious, say police
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Police have confirmed that the body of a woman discovered in the River Waveney was that of a 50-year-old from Beccles.
Suffolk Police were called shortly after 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, to the town following reports that a member of the public had discovered the body of a woman in the river.
Emergency services, including the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The death is currently being treated as unexplained but is not believed to be suspicious at this time.
The news has shocked and saddened the Beccles community.
You may also want to watch:
Town mayor Richard Stubbings said: “I was deeply saddened by the news and my thoughts and prayers are for the family she left behind.”
Posting on Facebook, other residents said: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 5 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
Another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Detectives would like to hear from any witnesses who may have seen a 50-year-old woman in the area yesterday between 1pm and 3pm.
Anyone with information should call Suffolk Police on 101 quoting CAD number 238 of March 14.