Death of woman found in river is not believed to be suspicious, say police
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Police have confirmed that the body of a woman discovered in the River Waveney was that of a 50-year-old from Beccles.
Suffolk Police were called shortly after 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, to the town following reports that a member of the public had discovered the body of a woman in the river.
Emergency services, including the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The death is currently being treated as unexplained but is not believed to be suspicious at this time.
The news has shocked and saddened the Beccles community.
Town mayor Richard Stubbings said: “I was deeply saddened by the news and my thoughts and prayers are for the family she left behind.”
Posting on Facebook, other residents said: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”
- 1 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 4 Snap survey - Patients ignored health conditions after GP waits
- 5 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 6 Suffolk care boss warns fuel costs could soon be unsustainable
- 7 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 8 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 9 'We've had parents in tears' - The church fighting school uniform poverty
- 10 Wine dating back to 1960s discovered hidden at town store
Another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Detectives would like to hear from any witnesses who may have seen a 50-year-old woman in the area yesterday between 1pm and 3pm.
Anyone with information should call Suffolk Police on 101 quoting CAD number 238 of March 14.