Death of woman found in river is not believed to be suspicious, say police
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Police have confirmed that the body of a woman discovered in the River Waveney was that of a 50-year-old from Beccles.
Suffolk Police were called shortly after 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, to the town following reports that a member of the public had discovered the body of a woman in the river.
Emergency services, including the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The death is currently being treated as unexplained but is not believed to be suspicious at this time.
The news has shocked and saddened the Beccles community.
You may also want to watch:
Town mayor Richard Stubbings said: “I was deeply saddened by the news and my thoughts and prayers are for the family she left behind.”
Posting on Facebook, other residents said: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 10 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date
Another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Detectives would like to hear from any witnesses who may have seen a 50-year-old woman in the area yesterday between 1pm and 3pm.
Anyone with information should call Suffolk Police on 101 quoting CAD number 238 of March 14.