Ducks go on sale for 10th Beccles Duck Race
- Credit: Archant © 2012
The Beccles Duck Race will be celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and ducks will be going on sale for the first time tomorrow.
The event, which is being hosted by Beccles Rugby Club, will be held in the usual spot at Beccles Quay on Sunday, September 7.
As always, participants are encouraged to buy their ducks early and decorate them with whacky colours and designs, and the radio- controlled duck race will also be continuing for a second year.
New for this year will be a corporate tent providing a place for businesses to network, along with the usual races, live music, stalls and refreshments for everyone.
Ducks will be sold at Tesco in Beccles for the first time tomorrow at £2.50 for a small duck and this year the ducks will also be available for children to buy at their schools.
You may also want to watch:
Proceeds from the event will go towards a new youth hub for younger rugby club players, along with other local causes. The youth hub is set to cost around £30,000 to complete and will provide a safe place for players to meet before and after matches.
The event will kick off from 11am, followed by the duck races at 3pm and live music from 4pm to 8pm.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
Alan Cooper, chairman of Beccles Rugby Club and the duck race, said: “The rugby club is extremely honoured to have been trusted to run this year’s Beccles Town Duck Race.
“The duck race is a prestigious local event and, while we will look to follow predecessors’ templates, we will be looking to apply some twists and add our own mark to the event.”
A new website with more details has already been launched at www.becclesduckrace.org and you can also visit the Beccles Duck Race Facebook page.
Anyone interested in having a stall at the event can contact Virginia Beker at email@example.com by June 30, while anyone interested in volunteering can contact Alex Callaway at firstname.lastname@example.org or for event sponsorship and duck sales contact Mr Cooper at email@example.com Anyone interested in taking part in the radio-controlled duck race can contact Terry Howes at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.