Eco-friendly housing nears completion
WORK is nearing completion on a �1.2m eco-friendly housing development that will provide affordable homes for people living in a Suffolk village.The 10 properties are being built on Peasenhall Road in Walpole, near Halesworth, and will be available from March next year.
WORK is nearing completion on a �1.2m eco-friendly housing development that will provide affordable homes for people living in a Suffolk village.
The 10 properties are being built on Peasenhall Road in Walpole, near Halesworth, and will be available from March next year.
The scheme - developed by Flagship Suffolk Heritage - comprises two one-bedroom flats, two two-bedroom flats, two two-bedroom houses, two three-bedroom houses and two two-bedroom earth-sheltered bungalows, all for affordable rent.
The homes are intended to be self-sufficient in terms of energy supply and consumption - with eight of the ten properties using electric heating with solar thermal technology and the remaining two having air-source heat pumps, solar thermal hot water, photovoltaics (for electricity supply) and rainwater harvesting.
You may also want to watch:
Walpole Parish Council chairman Zo� Mair said: “The nature of villages has changed over the years but with this new development, local people will be able to stay close to their families and places of work.
“Sustainability is not all about transport and amenities, it's about social cohesion, the glue that keeps a community together, to bring more life into the village of Walpole and give a balance.”
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day