EDF cuts gas prices
EDF Energy and Scottish Power today completed a round of gas price cuts by the UK's “Big Six” energy suppliers.EDF announced a 4pc reduction, effective from March 26, while Scottish Power said it would be cutting bills by an average of 8pc from March 31.
EDF Energy and Scottish Power today completed a round of gas price cuts by the UK's “Big Six” energy suppliers.
EDF announced a 4pc reduction, effective from March 26, while Scottish Power said it would be cutting bills by an average of 8pc from March 31.
The reductions follow cuts by rivals British Gas, Scottish & Southern, E.ON and npower in recent weeks, although EDF said it was the only major supplier to have made two price reductions for gas in the last six months, following a previous cut in October.
EDF claims its gas prices, and combined “dual fuel” prices for electricity and gas customers, were the lowest among the major suppliers during the recent cold winter which has seen energy firms come under fire for being slow to pass on falls in the wholesale price of gas.
You may also want to watch:
“Our latest cut will reinforce the company's position as having some of the lowest prices in the industry,” added EDF today.
“A typical gas only customer will have seen a reduction of at least 6.9pc in their bills since October 2009, with those paying by monthly direct debit seeing a 10.6pc decrease. This equates to a saving of �82 on their annual gas bills, making a typical average direct debit gas customer �26 a year better off with EDF Energy than with British Gas.”
- 1 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 2 Wanted Beccles man arrested in London
- 3 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 4 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 5 Bell Tower reopens offering panoramic views of Waveney Valley
- 6 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 7 Vaccine centres offering walk-in jabs across East Suffolk this week
- 8 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 9 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
- 10 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
Martin Lawrence, managing director for energy sourcing and customer supply at EDF Energy, added: “In these difficult times we are pleased to be able to offer our customers further price reductions.
“We are committed to delivering competitive prices and our customers have already benefited from the lowest dual fuel and gas only prices among the major suppliers throughout the coldest periods in December and January when they needed it most.”