Elderly woman hit by car in town centre
- Credit: Google Maps
An elderly woman has been taken to hospital after being hit by a car in a town centre.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: "Police were called at 11.35am to a crash involving a car and a pedestrian.
"An elderly lady has been hurt and taken to hospital as a precaution. This took place in Smallgate area of Beccles.
"Road closure opened at 12.47pm."
A spokeswoman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 11.28am with reports of a collision in Market Street, Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
"We sent one ambulance and took a person to James Paget Hospital for further care."
The crossroads at the junction of Market Street and the public hall were closed off by emergency services but reopened at 12.47pm.
- 1 More than 150 people enjoy town's first ever Pride event
- 2 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 3 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 4 Banned motorist admits dangerous driving around town
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 7 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 8 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 9 New signs to be installed after grandmother killed crossing A143
- 10 Care worker in court for causing A145 motorcycle crash
Drivers using Beccles town centre can expect major delays to their journey.
BorderBus services such as 580 as well as First services such as the X2 and X22 are all being affected.
A current live traffic map of the town shows severe delays in the area due to the crash and also due to emergency engineering works on Smallgate taking place today (July 5) and tomorrow (July 6).