Search

Electrical fault may have caused fire panic at Bernard Matthews

PUBLISHED: 16:48 17 April 2018 | UPDATED: 16:48 17 April 2018

Bernard Matthews factory.
Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Bernard Matthews factory. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2017

An electrical fault is believed to be the source of the “heat build-up” at the Bernard Matthews factory near Halesworth which saw nine fire crews scrambled.

The fire service said they were called to attend the warming of a cold store building at the industrial estate.

They said external refrigeration units to the cold store were showing signs of heat build up, but could not confirm whether or not there was a blaze, despite the possibility of “several small fires” causing the warming.

An electrical fault is believed to have caused the units to overheat due to a faulty cooler unit leading to a lack of ventilation was to blame for the build up.

The fire teams on scene used breathing apparatus as a precaution while attempting to ventilate and cool down the units, which was successfully done by 10pm when crews were stood down.

Nine crews were initially sent to the scene with four stood down in the early stages of the incident.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal