Bishop to dedicate re-glazed window to poet and author
- Credit: Archant
The bishop of St Edumndsbury and Ipswich will perform a dedication service to a poet and author at a church in Waveney.
The Rt Revd Martin Seeley, will be coming to St George’s Church, St Cross South Elmham on April 22 to dedicate a window re-glazed to the memory of Elizabeth Smart, the Canadian poet and author, who is buried in the churchyard.
Members of Elizabeth Smart’s family will be attending the service at 11am and her granddaughter Lydia, will be reading two of her poems.
Elizabeth Smart, who died in 1986, published her best known work By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept in 1945, and moved to Suffolk in the 1960s.
The memorial window was donated by Mr T A Dyer of Ilminster, Somerset.
You may also want to watch:
The glaziers were Paige Kenton and Jason Brauer of Shelton, and the commemorative plaque was produced by H L Perfitt, Stonemasons, of Diss.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 4 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 5 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 6 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 7 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion