Hazardous materials scare as 'suspicious package' found at delivery centre
- Credit: GOOGLE MAPS
A Suffolk Royal Mail delivery office was evacuated after someone was taken ill amid a hazardous materials scare.
Police, fire and the ambulance service were called to the incident just before 10am at the Beccles delivery office in Smallgate on Wednesday, January 27.
Three fire crews were sent to the incident, with nine more put on standby, after concerns were raised someone had breathed in a harmful substance from a suspicious package.
However, a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the patient is now thought to have had an allergic reaction after breathing in nut oil.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: "Police were called at approximately 9.55am following reports of a suspicious package at the Royal Mail delivery office in Smallgate, Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
"The package contained an unknown substance and has been declared non-suspicious.
"Emergency services attended the scene and a cordon was temporarily put in place. The building was initially evacuated by the Royal Mail as a safety precaution."
- 1 Traffic problems as bridge lights stuck on red
- 2 Man dies following collision on A12
- 3 'Incredible' artist who illustrated children's characters dies aged 82
- 4 Wetherspoon to reopen beer gardens and patios
- 5 'It's a Norfolk legend' - Backing for community bid to save pub
- 6 Camera club's stunning images showcased in latest competition
- 7 New committee to be formed to manage threatened Suffolk harbour
- 8 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 9 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 10 Early details for summer schools unveiled
A spokesman for the ambulance service said: "A rapid response vehicle, ambulance and ambulance officer vehicle attended. Crews treated a male patient at the scene for a suspected allergic reaction before transporting him to James Paget Hospital for further assessment and care."