Halesworth subject of flood warning after heavy rain causes rise in river levels
- Credit: Archant
A flood warning has been issued in Halesworth and the surrounding area due to heavy rainfall.
The Environment Agency gave the warning this morning for the Chediston watercourse after persistent rain resulted in higher river levels than normal in the village of Wissett.
The forecast is for the unsettled weather to continue over the next couple of days and river levels are expected to remain responsive to further rainfall in the area.
According to the Environment Agency, the areas most at risk of flooding are Thoroughfare, Chediston Street, Saxons Way, School Lane, and the A144 near the railway line in Halesworth. Train services running via Halesworth have not yet been affected by the flooding.
Property flooding could also be seen in the next few hours.
You may also want to watch:
The situation is being monitored closely by the Environment Agency.
- 1 Tributes paid to snowdrop expert 'with a twinkle in his eye'
- 2 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 3 Extraordinary meeting called over village solar farm
- 4 Best kept gardens crowned as competition returns
- 5 Bell Tower reopens offering panoramic views of Waveney Valley
- 6 Wanted Beccles man arrested in London
- 7 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 8 Fire crews called to help baby seagull trapped in netting
- 9 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 10 Hotspot tourists targeted by virus ads safety message