Halesworth subject of flood warning after heavy rain causes rise in river levels
- Credit: Archant
A flood warning has been issued in Halesworth and the surrounding area due to heavy rainfall.
The Environment Agency gave the warning this morning for the Chediston watercourse after persistent rain resulted in higher river levels than normal in the village of Wissett.
The forecast is for the unsettled weather to continue over the next couple of days and river levels are expected to remain responsive to further rainfall in the area.
According to the Environment Agency, the areas most at risk of flooding are Thoroughfare, Chediston Street, Saxons Way, School Lane, and the A144 near the railway line in Halesworth. Train services running via Halesworth have not yet been affected by the flooding.
Property flooding could also be seen in the next few hours.
You may also want to watch:
The situation is being monitored closely by the Environment Agency.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 7 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 8 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 9 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 10 Four men arrested after teenager robbed