Farm worker dies in accident

A worker on a Norfolk farm died after being involved in an accident believed to involve oxygen or gas canisters.

A worker on a Norfolk farm died after being involved in an accident believed to involve oxygen or gas canisters.

Robert Henderson, 50, received fatal injuries at about 11.20am on Saturday as he worked at Grove Farm, Stockton, near Bungay.

Last night his family, who are thought to be from the local area, were still coming to terms with his death and the farm owners did not wish to speak to the EDP.

Four appliances from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service rushed to the scene as it was initially thought a gas explosion had happened at the isolated farm off Raveningham Road.

But it was soon confirmed there had been no explosion and Mr Henderson's death involved either gas or oxygen canisters or cylinders.

Although details were still unclear about the circumstances of the accident it is thought he might have died while transferring a substance between two canisters.

Most Read

Once firefighters left the farm officers from Norfolk Police's major investigation team and officials from the Health and Safety Executive started investigating the cause of the accident. A police cordon blocked off Grove Farm.

Last night Bob Young, chairman of the Norfolk branch of the NFU, said the county's farming industry had done much in the last few years to reduce the number of accidents on farms.

Mr Young said: “There will always be an element danger on farms but fortunately accidents such as this are quite rare. I would like to offer my condolences to the family of the dead man.”

Norfolk Police spokeswoman Nicola Thorndyke said: “Officers were called to a report of an accident in the workplace at Grove Farm in Stockton.

“A 50-year-old man received fatal injuries while working on the premises. He has been identified as Robert Henderson and his family have been informed.

“The incident is being investigated by our major investigation team working with the Health and Safety Executive.”

Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said it sent three fire engines and an emergency tender to the farm at 11.23am on Saturday after it received a call concerning a gas explosion.

Once at Grove Farm firefighters provided assistance to police.