Film makers chart pool quest
DOCUMENTARY film-makers have begun charting the progress of a group of volunteers in their quest to reopen Beccles' open air pool.It follows a �140,000 grant awarded to the project by British Gas which has boosted the coffers - and confidence - of Beccles Lido.
DOCUMENTARY film-makers have begun charting the progress of a group of volunteers in their quest to reopen Beccles' open air pool.
It follows a �140,000 grant awarded to the project by British Gas which has boosted the coffers - and confidence - of Beccles Lido.
This week two documentary crews, on behalf of British Gas, started work on recording the major steps reached on the route to reopening the open air pool, filming at the pool and around the town, including from the top of St Michael's church tower.
Films from each of the 14 community projects involved in the British Gas Green Streets community energy challenge will be screened at a ceremony once work is complete.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Lido is to install solar-powered ground source heating as part of Green Streets - a year-long challenge to see which of the 14 communities can do the most to cut energy use, lower carbon emissions, generate their own energy and increase community involvement engagement. The group behind the winning project will receive a �100,000 to spend on a local environmental project of its choice.
Sally Wingate, producer of one of the film crews, said: “Everyone we spoke to at the pool impressed us with their enthusiasm and dedication, and they were united in their objective that the Beccles Lido should reopen in 2010.”
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
She added: “We interviewed young and old around the town and there was resounding support for the pool. Young people in particular were without exception excited at the prospect of their pool reopening for the summer and again having somewhere to meet. We wish Beccles Lido every success.”
The British Gas grant has helped funds swell to nearly �200,000. Shaun Crowley, of Beccles Lido, said: “There is still a lot of work to do - much of it already funded, some of it for which grants or donations are still being sought. But our vision is fast becoming reality and we remain confident that we will open for the 2010 summer season.”
In 2008 Waveney District Council said it could no longer justify running the pool, which opened in 1959.
Anyone able to help can contact Beccles Lido on 01502 714911 or email@example.com. To sign up to Beccles Lido's monthly lottery visit www.beccleslido.com or contact Maureen Saunders on 01502 714911.