Town gets starring role in director Danny Boyle’s new Beatles blockbuster
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Suffolk town is set to have a prominent role in the making of a new film being created by two of the industry’s biggest names.
Filming for Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis’ latest project will take place in Halesworth on May 1 and 2 at the Thoroughfare and the campus site.
Although details are largely being kept under wraps, the as yet untitled film is thought to be based in a world where The Beatles never existed and will reportedly feature a cameo appearance from Ed Sheeran.
In a letter sent to residents and business owners, the romantic comedy’s location manager said filming activity will be “concentrated at The White Hart pub, The Hideout Café and on Halesworth Thoroughfare itself.”
He added: “We plan to do some set dressing on the Thoroughfare. Our night scene requires rain so we will be bringing in Special FX Rain stands to achieve this.”
You may also want to watch:
Sasha Gibson, a publicist for Working Title Film, added that shooting would take place in both Suffolk and Norfolk to “take advantage of the fantastic locations both counties have to offer”.
Film icon Boyle is responsible for directing some of the most successful British films of all time, including Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire. Screenwriter Curtis, famed for romantic comedies Love Actually and Notting Hill, will be familiar with the region having owned a home in Walberswick for more than a decade.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 8 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 9 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 10 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
Lowestoft’s Ormiston Denes Academy is also believed to be a location for the film, serving as a further boost after Screen Suffolk revealed it had brought 210 days worth of filming to the county in its first 12 months.
A Halesworth Town Council spokesman said: “Halesworth will be the location for the filming of the latest Richard Curtis-produced film, with Danny Boyle in the director’s chair.
£The Thoroughfare will still be open to traffic but there may be short hold-ups while filming takes place. The crew will endeavour to keep the disruption at a minimum, but the chance for Halesworth to star in a major film is an exciting prospect for the town.”
Waveney District Council has agreed to make parking free in all of its Halesworth facilities due to the closure of the Thoroughfare car park. The Thoroughfare long stay car park will remain open.