Final countdown to annual Beccles duck race fun begins
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2009
There’s just one week to go until a raft of ducks will be descending on the River Waveney in Beccles.
Beccles Duck Race will be taking place next Saturday, August 6, at Beccles Quay from 1pm, and will include races for small and corporate ducks as well as the popular raft race.
Beccles Rugby Club is organising the event for the third and final year, supported by Musker McIntyre Estate Agents as the main sponsor, who will be offering the chance to win an iPad mini.
The fun will start at 1pm with events in the arena, followed by the raft race at 2pm. There are still a couple of spaces for local teams to take part who are not afraid of getting wet. Anyone who would like to sign up can email Gareth at firstname.lastname@example.org
Activities will continue into the afternoon with plenty of local businesses offering their goodies, along with a burger stall and beer tent to keep everyone refreshed.
You may also want to watch:
The duck race will start at 5pm with corporate ducks and mini ducks vying for the best racing lines on the river. The event will climax with local band Ebb Tide blasting out some popular tunes.
Dave Limpenny, under 10s coach at Beccles Rugby Club and duck race coordinator, said: “We look forward to seeing all of you on the day and we can’t wait to get the party started - it’s going to be quackers!”
- 1 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 4 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 5 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 6 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 7 Mortgage brokers win prestigious national award
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 10 Banned motorist admits dangerous driving around town
Mini ducks are available to buy now and decorate from Beales, Country Cards, Sweet Memories and Cossey Funeral Services in Beccles. They will also be available from Tesco and Morrisons tomorrow, or you can get them on the day.
Any local businesses who would like a corporate duck can email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last year’s event raised around £11,000 for the rugby club and other community causes, and funds from this year will go towards a new minibus for the youth and senior teams as well as local charities.