Fire-fighters fill up Beccles pool
IT was all hands to the pumps for Beccles fire-fighters on Monday as they offered their services to Beccles pool.Beccles Lido Ltd, which now runs the outdoor pool, enlisted the help of Suffolk's fire service to fill it up with water after it had got to a dangerously low level.
IT was all hands to the pumps for Beccles fire-fighters on Monday as they offered their services to Beccles pool.
Beccles Lido Ltd, which now runs the outdoor pool, enlisted the help of Suffolk's fire service to fill it up with water after it had got to a dangerously low level.
The pool was virtually empty at the shallow end and had only two or three feet of water in the deep end.
The firefighters all volunteered their services and pumped water drawn from the nearby River Waveney.
You may also want to watch:
The pool needs to be kept full of water to counteract the surrounding ground water pressure, which could crack the pool walls.
An existing crack running down the centre of the pool could be made worse by the problem, too.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 4 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 5 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 6 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 7 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 10 Graduation worth the wait for East Coast College's class of 2020
The exercise was used as a drill for the firefighters for emergencies where the water supply has run out and they have to use water from open water sources.
Tim Bray, watch manager at Beccles fire station, said: “This pool has been used for many, many years, and a lot of the guys at the station have got children. It's a worthwhile cause.”
Maureen Saunders, a direc-tor of Beccles Lido, said: “I can't express how grateful we are.”
For more information on Beccles Lido visit www.
Winners of the Beccles Lido Lottery September draw are: 1, �80 to David Henshaw; 2, �40 to Melinda Terry-Wright; 3, �26 to R and G Norgate.
So far 124 tickets have been sold, which with gift aid means nearly �3,000 a year has already been secured.
Lottery applications can be downloaded from www.
beccleslido.com or collected from the Gazette Bookshop, in The Walk, Beccles.