First award presented in memory of Beccles Lion
- Credit: Archant
A new award in memory of a Beccles Lion has been presented for the first time.
The annual Ivan Holmes Community Award was given out at the Beccles and District Lions Club Charter Dinner to Christine Pinsent.
It was made in memory of late Lion Ivan Holmes, who was a member for over 35 years.
The award hopes to recognise people in the community like Mr Holmes, who tirelessly serve their community helping improve the lives of others.
Lions president Keith Moore said: “Ivan was an inspiration to lots of people and we as a club know there are others doing the same good work within the community, so we see this award as our way of acknowledging these individuals.”
You may also want to watch:
The award was given to Mrs Pinsent by Mr Holmes’ wife Mandy, who said: “The intention of this award is to act as an inspirational and motivational legacy, to continue Ivan’s good work.
“I know the club received lots of nominations, and one nominee stood out amongst them all, and that was Christine.
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Damaged opiate vials at hospital 'likely a manufacturing fault'
- 9 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 10 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
“I know Ivan and Christine had been involved with many projects in Beccles over the years and I feel it would be safe to say that at times they tried each other’s patience and yet, through the true community spirit, it all came together at the right time and I do feel the local community benefited from it.
“I would also like to acknowledge and thank every other nominee for their tireless work, within the local area, which of course is all voluntary. So to all the volunteers, whether clubs, societies or individuals, that help to improve our community - thank you.”
Mrs Pinsent said: “I would like to thank the Beccles Lions Club for this lovely award. It is completely unexpected.
“I feel very honoured and moved by this award, because Ivan was such a presence within the community and to even be considered for the award is an honour let alone, receive it.
“It’s very encouraging to see so many people doing so much for the community, long may it continue. I will treasure this award, thank you.”
For more about the Beccles Lions contact club secretary Janet Ramsden on 01502 514284 or visit www.beccleslions.org.uk. Or if you are interested in becoming a member, call membership chairman Fred Helsdon on 01502 514392.