First award presented in memory of Beccles Lion
- Credit: Archant
A new award in memory of a Beccles Lion has been presented for the first time.
The annual Ivan Holmes Community Award was given out at the Beccles and District Lions Club Charter Dinner to Christine Pinsent.
It was made in memory of late Lion Ivan Holmes, who was a member for over 35 years.
The award hopes to recognise people in the community like Mr Holmes, who tirelessly serve their community helping improve the lives of others.
Lions president Keith Moore said: “Ivan was an inspiration to lots of people and we as a club know there are others doing the same good work within the community, so we see this award as our way of acknowledging these individuals.”
You may also want to watch:
The award was given to Mrs Pinsent by Mr Holmes’ wife Mandy, who said: “The intention of this award is to act as an inspirational and motivational legacy, to continue Ivan’s good work.
“I know the club received lots of nominations, and one nominee stood out amongst them all, and that was Christine.
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 Live the good life: Listed farmhouse for sale for £700,000 after renovation
“I know Ivan and Christine had been involved with many projects in Beccles over the years and I feel it would be safe to say that at times they tried each other’s patience and yet, through the true community spirit, it all came together at the right time and I do feel the local community benefited from it.
“I would also like to acknowledge and thank every other nominee for their tireless work, within the local area, which of course is all voluntary. So to all the volunteers, whether clubs, societies or individuals, that help to improve our community - thank you.”
Mrs Pinsent said: “I would like to thank the Beccles Lions Club for this lovely award. It is completely unexpected.
“I feel very honoured and moved by this award, because Ivan was such a presence within the community and to even be considered for the award is an honour let alone, receive it.
“It’s very encouraging to see so many people doing so much for the community, long may it continue. I will treasure this award, thank you.”
For more about the Beccles Lions contact club secretary Janet Ramsden on 01502 514284 or visit www.beccleslions.org.uk. Or if you are interested in becoming a member, call membership chairman Fred Helsdon on 01502 514392.