Football stand to be unveiled at charity match in memory of stalwart
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A football stand built in memory of a club stalwart will be unveiled at a charity match this weekend.
The third Gary Knights annual memorial match will be held at Beccles Caxton FC on Saturday.
Mr Knights died of cancer in 2013 aged 50 and had been involved with the club for many years, as a member of the social club committee, manager and ran the whole football section as chairman.
And when the club’s old stand at their Caxton Meadow ground had to be demolished, they decided it was the perfect way to honour his memory.
Fundraising started back in 2016, alongside a project to install a 3G pitch at the ground, with £23,000 needed for both to be completed.
The Beccles Caxton FC team will take on Gary’s XI, with kick off at 2.30pm.
Before the game, Mr Knight’s family will unveil the new stand built in his honour, with the grand opening at 2pm.
- 1 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 2 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 3 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 4 Family fun day on town meadow hailed a hit
- 5 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 6 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 7 Have you seen artist's phenomenal sculptures made from cutlery?
- 8 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 9 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 10 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
Gates open at 1pm, with donations on entry. There will also be a bar, barbecue and a raffle.