Football stand to be unveiled at charity match in memory of stalwart
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A football stand built in memory of a club stalwart will be unveiled at a charity match this weekend.
The third Gary Knights annual memorial match will be held at Beccles Caxton FC on Saturday.
Mr Knights died of cancer in 2013 aged 50 and had been involved with the club for many years, as a member of the social club committee, manager and ran the whole football section as chairman.
And when the club’s old stand at their Caxton Meadow ground had to be demolished, they decided it was the perfect way to honour his memory.
Fundraising started back in 2016, alongside a project to install a 3G pitch at the ground, with £23,000 needed for both to be completed.
You may also want to watch:
The Beccles Caxton FC team will take on Gary’s XI, with kick off at 2.30pm.
Before the game, Mr Knight’s family will unveil the new stand built in his honour, with the grand opening at 2pm.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 Woman's body found at Loddon home
- 8 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
Gates open at 1pm, with donations on entry. There will also be a bar, barbecue and a raffle.