Former shopowner back behind the wheel
A WELL-known Beccles shop owner has shunned retirement in favour of opening up a business again a few feet from his last.Graham Smith owned Beccles Car Shop in Blyburgate for 17 years before he sold it in 2005.
A WELL-known Beccles shop owner has shunned retirement in favour of opening up a business again a few feet from his last.
Graham Smith owned Beccles Car Shop in Blyburgate for 17 years before he sold it in 2005.
But after the closure of Motorworld in the town centre and his former business, which was bought by another owner and closed recently, Mr Smith decided to get back at the wheel by opening a shop in new premises.
The Car Shop is opening at what used to be Computer Island further down Blyburgate tomorrow and already Mr Smith, 57, has been inundated with visits from some of his old customers while he has been renovating the shop.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I missed meeting the people, that side of it. I'm really looking forward to it. I really enjoyed putting all the shelves up and all the stock out and I've seen lots of old customers and old faces.
“The first time round it got too much for me. I was a bit silly really as I probably should have employed some-one to help. This time I'm employing someone one week on, one week off.”
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 9 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
The Car Shop will stock everything from car batteries to screen wash, windscreen wipers to brake pads and Mr Smith will be receiving up to four deliveries a day, meaning that something could be ordered in the morning and arrive a few hours later.