Fox attack warning as puppy dies on walkway
A HEARTBROKEN couple have warned other dog owners to be vigilant after their puppy was killed in an apparent fox attack.
Stephen and Annie Paul were walking their two dogs off the lead on the bridleway close to Ringsfield Church on Monday, when two red foxes appeared and chased the pets away.
Olive, a Jack Russell, managed to run back to the couple after being called, but her terrier pup Beatrice became trapped by the foxes and ran off in fear.
After scouring the area for hours with friends and family, Beatrice was eventually found dead on Tuesday afternoon from what is thought to have been a mauling by a fox.
The bridleway runs from the playing fields of the Sir John Leman High School in Beccles to Ringsfield.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Paul, who lives in Beccles, said: “We want other dog walkers to be careful when they go through that area. I have a funny feeling that the two that attacked my two were also a mother and her cub.
“I know a lot of people use Beccles Common, but we use the bridleway because it is different for the dogs. We thought that perhaps she had gone to ground in fear and buried herself down a rabbit hole and the trouble with that is that it’s very difficult to get out.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Town's post office to close within a month
- 6 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo
- 7 Care home bosses welcome proposed roll-out of rapid covid tests
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 10 Missing pregnant woman found 'safe and well'
Mr Paul said that he received a call from a friend on Tuesday afternoon to say they had found Beatrice dead by the perimeter fence, which surrounds the local water board.
“Its so sad, she was part of the family and her mother is so lost without her,” he said.
The couple paid tribute to all the people that helped them find Beatrice.