Friends set off on Peru trek in latest challenge for Breast Cancer Now
- Credit: Archant
Five women from the Beccles Breast Cancer Now group are gearing up for their latest charity challenge - trekking the Lares Valley to Machu Picchu in Peru.
The group of friends will be setting off today, flying to Lima in Peru, and then on to Cusco where they will spend two days acclimatising to the altitude before setting off on the trek to the sacred site.
Beccles Breast Cancer Now has raised over £60,000 for the charity since fundraising began in 2011, and was started by Kim Robertson after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Previously known as Breakthrough Beccles, the group was renamed following the merger of charities Breakthrough Breast Cancer and the Breast Cancer Campaign.
The women will be trekking six to eight hours a day, at high altitude, and through remote areas where facilities are basic. And as well as the altitude, they will be battling the weather, with temperatures likely to drop below freezing at night when they will be camping.
Their clothing for the challenge has been sponsored by The Marmalade Tree and Lady Marmalade in Beccles, and Promo International in Basildon have donated warm jackets to protect them from the cold.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Robertson said: “We are so grateful for the support from the business community for once again supporting our charity efforts.
“We have taken on challenges previously for Breast Cancer Now, but this one is classified as ‘tough’ so it’s great to know we will be kitted out in the right gear. The altitude is a bit of a concern as we don’t know how it’s going to affect us and it’s not something that we’ve been able to train for.”
- 1 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 2 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 3 Improving town's connectivity could 'attract more residents and visitors'
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Drivers facing long delays on A146 due to roadworks
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted
- 9 Teenager given big break with weekly show on coastal radio station
- 10 Schools in ‘very difficult position’ over pupil classroom face mask changes
Previous challenges completed by the women include a trek along the Great Wall of China in 2012 and a cycle ride through Vietnam and Cambodia in 2013. And in September, the group will be raising awareness and funds for Breast Cancer Now again when three members take part in the Crumball Rally, driving a £150 car from Beccles to Venice.
To sponsor the team visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/BecclesBreastCancerNow
Are you raising money for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org