Friends set off on Peru trek in latest challenge for Breast Cancer Now
- Credit: Archant
Five women from the Beccles Breast Cancer Now group are gearing up for their latest charity challenge - trekking the Lares Valley to Machu Picchu in Peru.
The group of friends will be setting off today, flying to Lima in Peru, and then on to Cusco where they will spend two days acclimatising to the altitude before setting off on the trek to the sacred site.
Beccles Breast Cancer Now has raised over £60,000 for the charity since fundraising began in 2011, and was started by Kim Robertson after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Previously known as Breakthrough Beccles, the group was renamed following the merger of charities Breakthrough Breast Cancer and the Breast Cancer Campaign.
The women will be trekking six to eight hours a day, at high altitude, and through remote areas where facilities are basic. And as well as the altitude, they will be battling the weather, with temperatures likely to drop below freezing at night when they will be camping.
Their clothing for the challenge has been sponsored by The Marmalade Tree and Lady Marmalade in Beccles, and Promo International in Basildon have donated warm jackets to protect them from the cold.
Mrs Robertson said: “We are so grateful for the support from the business community for once again supporting our charity efforts.
“We have taken on challenges previously for Breast Cancer Now, but this one is classified as ‘tough’ so it’s great to know we will be kitted out in the right gear. The altitude is a bit of a concern as we don’t know how it’s going to affect us and it’s not something that we’ve been able to train for.”
- 1 'We've had parents in tears' - The church fighting school uniform poverty
- 2 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 3 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 4 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 5 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 6 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 7 Data reveals 'inadequate' Suffolk schools starting again as academies
- 8 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 9 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 10 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
Previous challenges completed by the women include a trek along the Great Wall of China in 2012 and a cycle ride through Vietnam and Cambodia in 2013. And in September, the group will be raising awareness and funds for Breast Cancer Now again when three members take part in the Crumball Rally, driving a £150 car from Beccles to Venice.
To sponsor the team visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/BecclesBreastCancerNow
Are you raising money for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org