From Holland to Beccles, the balloon that inspired a young girl
MANY children put a message in a bottle or release balloons with a note attached in the hope of it travelling a long way.
Some are washed back in by the tide, some get caught in the nearest tree branch, while others manage to travel a few miles away.
But one five-year-old girl was in for a shock when her balloons travelled all the way from Holland to Beccles.
Lola Roos Boswijk drew a picture and wrote her address on a card which she planned to release on a helium balloon.
Because of its weight, one balloon was not enough, so on April 17 three green helium balloons were released from Groningen, in north Holland. She waited to see if anybody would be kind enough to find the note and reply.
You may also want to watch:
Her father Arjen Boswijk said: “Every day we talked about the voyage of her balloon and on Saturday came a letter from the UK.
“Stephen Clark from Beccles in Suffolk had found the balloons and the message from Lola. He was so kind to send the card back to my daughter with a small note, but forgot his address.”
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 8 Why some over 70s get the Covid vaccine before over 80s
- 9 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected for next three weeks
- 10 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
The balloons travelled approximately 215 miles and Lola was so happy to receive a letter back she wrote a poem about it.
Mr Boswijk said: “We were very surprised. Maybe it is possible to find Stephen so we can thank him?”
The balloon was green
He was flying
A card was hanging
under the balloon
with a drawing figure
It said: Lola, five years old
a man found
In the street
in a town
He wrote a letter
back to me