Gardens to open up for anniversary day
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It is one of our region’s hidden treasures, but this weekend the public will have the chance to catch a glimpse of Redisham Hall and its gardens, set in 400 acres of sumptuous Suffolk countryside.
The house and estate, near Beccles, is privately owned but once a year the gates are open for people to enjoy the parkland and woodland, under the National Garden Scheme. This year it will celebrate 50 years of participating in the scheme.
Head gardener Sarah Hammond, said the open gardens have so far raised £32,000 for the NGS, which encourages people to open their gardens to the public with proceeds going to the charity’s beneficences which includes Macmillan Cancer Support and Marie Curie Cancer Care.
“We’ve opened up the gardens for 50 years,” said Ms Hammond, who has been at Redisham for 12 years. “It’s a great charity to support and it allows people to have a look around the gardens and raise money.”
On Sunday the gardens will be open from 2pm to 6pm with people able to enjoy fruit and vegetable gardens, ponds, lawns and shrubbery.
You may also want to watch:
Tea and homemade cakes will be available, musical entertainment will play throughout the afternoon and there will be a plant and produce sale.
“The gardens are kept well all year round but we go to special trouble to make sure it is immaculate for the open day,” added Ms Hammond.
- 1 New headteacher unveiled for town's high school
- 2 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 3 Roads to close overnight for roundabout resurfacing
- 4 Man suffers broken leg in serious crash on A12
- 5 Pub staff 'run off their feet' during Euros campaign
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 8 'Everyone recognises me now' - Plant continues to grow at rapid rate
- 9 Newcastle Falcons rugby star's new role at Norfolk school
- 10 Town's Pride picnic postponed following restrictions delay
“We love to have visitors. It’s a really fun day and enjoyable for everyone.”