Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A popular community pub near Beccles will be re-opening next week after it closed due to a Covid outbreak.
On Sunday, Graham Elliot, chair of the Locks Inn Community Pub, announced that the pub would be reopening on Friday, August 6.
Mr Elliot said: "On Thursday, the pub manager was notified of a positive Covid test.
"The manager had to act quickly to close the pub as customers were approaching the doors."
The manager contacted relevant staff and informed them to self-isolate and take PCR tests.
All other members of staff who were not directly affected were contacted so they could obtain and take either a lateral flow test or PCR.
"So far all tests are negative," said Mr Elliot.
"The decision had to be made whether we could reopen – and that depended largely on available members of staff not self-isolating – as well as staff who might feel anxious about working so soon and the perception of customers and local members of the public.
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 4 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 5 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
- 6 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 7 Organisers hail success as 'great' hospital fete makes welcome return
- 8 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 9 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 10 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
"As we all know, Covid is still rife. With over 700,000 individuals pinged by Track and Trace and several local establishments also facing the same problem as us at The Locks Inn Community Pub.
"Please bear with us as we juggle the desire to be open with the current situation requiring self-isolation of staff for 10 days and the safety of anyone visiting or working in The Locks Inn Community Pub.
"The Locks Inn Community Pub always aims to be a safe and considerate employer and to create a safe and considerate environment for our customers.
"Against that background and following Public Health England guidance it was decided that the safest decision was to close until Friday 6 August.
"We look forward to welcoming back customers then."