Girls’ rugby taster day proves a hit
- Credit: James Bass
A rugby taster session has been held in Beccles to encourage more woman and girls to take up the sport.
Around 25 participants aged between 13 and 16-years-old attended the free event at the Beccles Youth Hub which saw them put through their paces as they learnt the basic skills and took part in fitness challenges.
They then played a popular version of the game - touch rugby.
“It was really fantastic to see lots of new players come along and those who haven’t played rugby before,” said Claire Phelps, Beccles Ladies and Girls Rugby team coach.
“They did really well. We’re pleased with the numbers that turned up. We want to get more ladies here and not just girls.”
You may also want to watch:
The Rugby Football Union (RFU) is aiming to see 10,000 more women and girls playing rugby and Beccles is one of the main clubs in the area to promote the game.
They have an under-18 and under-15 ladies’ team and an under-13 girls’ team with woman encouraged to join Southwold Women’s Rugby team.
- 1 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 2 Kind-hearted man donates money to vital oxygen therapy centre
- 3 Award-winning Suffolk farm announces first ever pop-up restaurant
- 4 Appeal to find missing woman last seen near Suffolk coast
- 5 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 6 New day care centre set to open in former Methodist church
- 7 Lorry in collision with a tree near Halesworth
- 8 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 9 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 10 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
Ms Phelps added: “We had representatives from Southwold come to give advice and it’s good to see the clubs coming together. We don’t have a women’s rugby team so when the girls are old enough we encourage them to go to Southwold.”
Jayne Rivett, team manager at Southwold, said it was good to see youngsters interested in the sport.
She said: “It was really nice to see so many young girls playing the game. We welcome anyone to join regardless of age and fitness. You just have to be over 18.”
Beccles Ladies and Girls Rugby team train Thursdays, 7pm to 8.30pm.
For more information, email email@example.com or visit their Facebook page Beccles Rugby Club - Ladies and girls.
Southwold Women’s Rugby team train Wednesdays at 7.30pm at Southwold Rugby Club. For more information, call Jayne Rivett on 07710134617.