Going quackers over duck race
THE final preparations are underway for this year's colourful Beccles Duck Race.Organisers are hoping that the annual event, which reaches its 5th anniversary this year, will attract more aquatic entrants than ever before.
THE final preparations are underway for this year's colourful Beccles Duck Race.
Organisers are hoping that the annual event, which reaches its 5th anniversary this year, will attract more aquatic entrants than ever before.
This year's event, which takes place on Sunday, October 4, between 11am until 5pm at Beccles Quay, could be the most lively yet, with an extra special appearance from a collection of Art Trail ducks.
The 20 giant ducks, that have been elaborately decorated and seen at various locations in and around Beccles over the last few weeks, will be on show on race day, although they will stop short of entering into the water. The popular fibreglass Art Trail ducks have been sponsored by businesses and decorated by local artists.
Youngsters still have time to follow the art trail of the ducks through the town, whose characters include Ducktor Who and Charles Duckings. Some of them will then be available for auction at Durrants Auction Rooms in Beccles on Friday, October 16 (preview day is on October 15).
Last year's main duck race event attracted 2,500 in the miniature duck race on the waters of the River Waveney. The corporate race, which features larger ducks, will be held this year in memory of Eric Crisp, who used to be heavily involved in the organisation of the event.
- 1 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 2 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 3 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 4 Family fun day on town meadow hailed a hit
- 5 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 6 Have you seen artist's phenomenal sculptures made from cutlery?
- 7 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 8 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 9 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 10 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
Events through the day include displays by Kuk Sool Won, the Sir John Leman jazz band, Smash Skates, Waggy Tails Dog agility display, and Beccles Royales Gymnastics Club.
Ducks are �2 and can be bought from shops in and around Beccles, including Sweet Memories, Quayside Conservatories, Blyburgate Antiques and Thriftbooks. Anyone who still has an official duck from last year's race can buy a necktie for �1 and give their duck another chance at winning.