Going quackers over duck race
THE final preparations are underway for this year's colourful Beccles Duck Race.Organisers are hoping that the annual event, which reaches its 5th anniversary this year, will attract more aquatic entrants than ever before.
THE final preparations are underway for this year's colourful Beccles Duck Race.
Organisers are hoping that the annual event, which reaches its 5th anniversary this year, will attract more aquatic entrants than ever before.
This year's event, which takes place on Sunday, October 4, between 11am until 5pm at Beccles Quay, could be the most lively yet, with an extra special appearance from a collection of Art Trail ducks.
The 20 giant ducks, that have been elaborately decorated and seen at various locations in and around Beccles over the last few weeks, will be on show on race day, although they will stop short of entering into the water. The popular fibreglass Art Trail ducks have been sponsored by businesses and decorated by local artists.
You may also want to watch:
Youngsters still have time to follow the art trail of the ducks through the town, whose characters include Ducktor Who and Charles Duckings. Some of them will then be available for auction at Durrants Auction Rooms in Beccles on Friday, October 16 (preview day is on October 15).
Last year's main duck race event attracted 2,500 in the miniature duck race on the waters of the River Waveney. The corporate race, which features larger ducks, will be held this year in memory of Eric Crisp, who used to be heavily involved in the organisation of the event.
- 1 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 2 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 3 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 4 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 5 How I became Ralph Fiennes' assistant on Netflix's The Dig
- 6 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 7 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 8 More than 100 people volunteer for health centre's 'amazing' vaccine rollout
- 9 Man recovering after suffering serious leg injury in crash
- 10 Paramedics respond after woman suffers medical emergency
Events through the day include displays by Kuk Sool Won, the Sir John Leman jazz band, Smash Skates, Waggy Tails Dog agility display, and Beccles Royales Gymnastics Club.
Ducks are �2 and can be bought from shops in and around Beccles, including Sweet Memories, Quayside Conservatories, Blyburgate Antiques and Thriftbooks. Anyone who still has an official duck from last year's race can buy a necktie for �1 and give their duck another chance at winning.