Golfers complete 125-hole challenge with time to spare
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Two professional golfers from the Bungay and Waveney Valley Golf Club have successfully completed their 125-hole one day challenge in celebration of the club’s 125th anniversary.
Andrew Collison and Ian Scott putted their last ball at 6.52pm last Saturday- more than three hours ahead of their estimated finish time.
The challenge is one of the many celebrations and fundraisers being held at the club to mark the milestone, and involved them completing one hole less than seven rounds of golf.
The men have been collecting sponsorship individually and at the club for the last two months and have raised around £3,000.
Mr Collison, 45, who is the club’s head professional, said: “We were very eager to complete the first four rounds quickly and get ahead of our schedule.
“We didn’t have any stops or breaks and we had a team of caddies who helped us on the course.
“On our last round there were quite a lot of people watching us even in the rain, and their support kept us going.
- 1 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 2 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 3 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 4 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 5 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
- 6 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 7 Chainsaws, drills and hedge trimmers stolen in farm burglary
- 8 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 9 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 10 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
“It was a nice achievement and we are very proud.”
The men started their challenge at 3am. The money will be spent on new furniture for the club.
As part of the celebration, the club also organised a match against Fakenham Golf Club, which is also 125 years old, and a dinner dance is planned for July.
Mr Collison said: “It’s nice to be celebrating 125 years and there is a great feel about the club at the moment.”