Haddiscoe Island set for wind turbine?
PLANS for an 18m wind turbine in rural south Norfolk could be in the pipeline.The owner of the majority of the land on Haddiscoe Island has made a request for a scoping opinion to determine if an environmental impact assessment will be necessary for the scheme to go forward.
PLANS for an 18m wind turbine in rural south Norfolk could be in the pipeline.
The owner of the majority of the land on Haddiscoe Island has made a request for a scoping opinion to determine if an environmental impact assessment will be necessary for the scheme to go forward.
The applicant, whose family owns about two thirds of the island, has written to the planning department of the Broads Authority about the proposal to install a single small scale wind turbine on the island.
The village of Haddiscoe, near Beccles, is part of the island, where the River Waveney and Yare are dissected by a man-made cut which carries boats between the sea and Norwich. In the summer the island's 2,000 acres are used for grazing cattle.
You may also want to watch:
The applicant states that the turbine would generate enough electricity to power the pump, Pettingill's, which is used for managing water levels.
He also says that the turbine would reduce the carbon footprint of Haddiscoe Island and the electricity generated would also cover the electricity needs of another pump and go some way to covering the needs of other properties on the island, including two homes where families involved in the day-to-day husbandry of the marshes live.
- 1 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 2 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 5 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 6 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 7 Fire crews called out to bin fire at Bungay public toilets
- 8 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash