Haddiscoe Island set for wind turbine?
PLANS for an 18m wind turbine in rural south Norfolk could be in the pipeline.The owner of the majority of the land on Haddiscoe Island has made a request for a scoping opinion to determine if an environmental impact assessment will be necessary for the scheme to go forward.
PLANS for an 18m wind turbine in rural south Norfolk could be in the pipeline.
The owner of the majority of the land on Haddiscoe Island has made a request for a scoping opinion to determine if an environmental impact assessment will be necessary for the scheme to go forward.
The applicant, whose family owns about two thirds of the island, has written to the planning department of the Broads Authority about the proposal to install a single small scale wind turbine on the island.
The village of Haddiscoe, near Beccles, is part of the island, where the River Waveney and Yare are dissected by a man-made cut which carries boats between the sea and Norwich. In the summer the island's 2,000 acres are used for grazing cattle.
You may also want to watch:
The applicant states that the turbine would generate enough electricity to power the pump, Pettingill's, which is used for managing water levels.
He also says that the turbine would reduce the carbon footprint of Haddiscoe Island and the electricity generated would also cover the electricity needs of another pump and go some way to covering the needs of other properties on the island, including two homes where families involved in the day-to-day husbandry of the marshes live.
- 1 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 2 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 3 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 4 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 5 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 6 Man suffered double jaw fracture in Norwich bar attack
- 7 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 8 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
- 9 Pickup truck, trailer and quad bike stolen from rural property
- 10 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice