Halesworth Carnival procession will roll through the town again
PUBLISHED: 08:00 20 May 2011
copyright of Archant Ã‚Â© 2010; 01603 772434
HALESWORTH’S carnival procession will roll through the town’s streets again this year, organisers have announced.
Other traditional processions up and down the country have been put under threat because of the new way they have to be patrolled, but the Halesworth Lions have confirmed that the event will go ahead as normal this year.
Now they are appealing for floats and stalls to come forward to create another memorable event in the town next month.
A number of public events have struggled since police forces announced that they would no longer be able to offer their services. Instead, community event organisers have had to turn to road traffic management companies for help in putting on the events – and for some the expense has proved too much. In Lowestoft the carnival committee had to cancel their 50th parade this summer, although a fete will still be taking place. Aldeburgh carnival is appealing for funding to help it go ahead, while the Beccles route has been made shorter.
However, the Halesworth Lions carnival committee were delighted to announce that their traditional event will go ahead, along the same route.
Carnival committee chairman John Keeble said: “This event has always been the Lions’ way of saying thank you to the town for their support. It’s held in the park so everybody can enjoy the day, and without the procession a lot of the atmosphere would be lost.
“We are very grateful to Lux Traffic Management who have kept their costs to a minimum and allowed us to go ahead for another year.”
Mr Keeble confirmed that the carnival procession would take its usual route from the industrial estate off Blyth Road, along Bramfield Road, London Road, the Thoroughfare, Norwich Road and to the park.
“We are very happy to go ahead. We did not want to drop it if we could help it,” said Mr Keeble, who has been organising it for more than 10 years.
Two years ago the committee had been unsure whether they would be able to continue the event due to sponsorship issues, however with businesses stepping forward they have seen the event grow in size.
Last year more than 20 floats joined in the parade, with highlights including the fire service as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Beech House residential home pretending it was race day, and the Brownies and Guides belly-dancing their way along the route.
It is hoped there will be even more at noon on Sunday, June 12.
There will also be a range of entertainment at the park, with samba, gymnastics and an animal show, as well as a number of stalls.
Entries have already started coming in for this year’s procession, but Mr Keeble said the more the merrier. If you would like to be involved contact him on 01986 872994. To request a stall contact Mandy Hawksley on 01986 872710.
All of the money raised from the event is given to local charities.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.