Halesworth family shave heads for cancer
- Credit: Archant
A family from Halesworth have had their heads shaved in a show of unity to raise money for Breast Cancer Care.
Nikii Roberts was diagnosed with the disease 14 weeks ago and has had an operation to remove a lump from her breast.
She is currently undergoing gruelling chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy.
Nikii, her husband Gary and their seven-year-old son Owen decided to lose their locks during an emotional ceremony at Chinny’s Sport Bar and Cue Club in the town on Sunday to raise awareness.
More than 300 people attended to support the trio including Darts legend Andy Fordham.
Mr Fordham played darts against any willing competitors with one condition - that they must give some money to the charity.
There was also face painting, entertainers and leg waxing during the afternoon, while Mr Fordham helped with a raffle.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 3 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 4 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 8 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 9 Knitters set to hit 'gorgeous' beach for Stitches on the Sand
- 10 Investigation into fatal aircraft crash continues
Mrs Roberts, 46, said she wanted to thank everyone who had supported them on the day.
“It was fantastic, so many people were there, I was absolutely amazed. It was very emotional, I was in tears most of the time. I worked as a hairdresser at Adiva Haircutters in Halesworth so the girls from there came along and did the head shave.
“We had so much support, I can’t thank everyone enough. The team from Chinny’s arranged for Andy to come and he was absolutely lovely.”
So far Mrs Roberts has raised £1,700, but there is still a lot of money to be collected.