Halesworth’s Portas bid given New Anglia backing
LOCAL Enterprise Partnership New Anglia has given its backing to Halesworth’s Portas bid.
The partnership has announced it will be backing four towns from Norfolk and Suffolk - Brandon, Halesworth, Ipswich and Hunstanton.
Earlier this year the government revealed plans for a competition to select 12 towns from across England who will be awarded up to �100,000 each to develop a ‘town team’.
The competition was the idea of High Street expert Mary Portas, and towns across the country have put their bids together.
With competition expected to be fierce, New Anglia LEP offered towns across its area the chance to gain its support, to help strengthen their case.
You may also want to watch:
A total of 19 towns submitted proposals to New Anglia – with the LEP now backing four proposals from Brandon, Halesworth, Ipswich and Hunstanton.
New Anglia LEP board members Davina Tanner, general manager of the regional shopping centre Chapelfield in Norwich, and David Gledhill, chief executive of Hutchison Ports in Suffolk made the selection on behalf of New Anglia LEP.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 4 Concerns over lack of coronavirus vaccine centres in north Suffolk
- 5 English teacher's reading app disrupts market
- 6 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 7 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 8 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
Ms Tanner said: “We are delighted to have received 17 submissions from towns across the LEP area. It shows a real enthusiasm and energy within New Anglia for the themes of regeneration identified in the Portas report.
“We have chosen to endorse the submissions from Brandon, Halesworth, Hunstanton and Ipswich as those which best match the criteria and commitment outlined by Mary Portas.
“However we have been impressed by the wide range of plans and innovative ideas proposed by other towns and we look forward to starting work on implementing many of these initiatives to strengthen and enhance the retail offer across the region.”