Henstead pupils pick up top prizes for 3D art
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at The Old School Henstead picked up two prizes in Cambridge this week at the ISA (Independent Schools Association) Eastern Region Art Competition 2014.
This year’s event, hosted by Cambridge Centre for Sixth-form Studies, was judged by Portia Rosenberg, the well-known illustrator.
The Old School Henstead won two categories for 3D Art.
They won first prize in Key Stage 2 with the work entitled “Night Puppet”, created by Sonny Dakin-Butler, and came first in the Key Stage 2 group category, for “Barking Dog”, created collectively by Ruby Collins, Daisy McDowell, Matthew Pelham and Clara Watson-Flowers.
“Night Puppet” was a technical as well as an artistic challenge, considering a variety of materials and the workings and articulation of the joints of an actual puppet.
You may also want to watch:
The “Barking Dog” piece made innovative use of wire sculpture and papier mâché to create a large animal.
The ISA Eastern Region Art Competition is part of the nationwide art competition run by the Independent Schools Association and the winners go forward to the national final, which will be judged on November 15.
- 1 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 2 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 3 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 7 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 8 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 9 Youngsters aged 12 to 18 to begin receiving Covid vaccinations
- 10 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
This is the third year of the competition and the third year of wins for The Old School Henstead, whose art department is headed up by Max Butcher, a Cambridge graduate and accomplished sculptor.