Henstead pupils pick up top prizes for 3D art
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at The Old School Henstead picked up two prizes in Cambridge this week at the ISA (Independent Schools Association) Eastern Region Art Competition 2014.
This year’s event, hosted by Cambridge Centre for Sixth-form Studies, was judged by Portia Rosenberg, the well-known illustrator.
The Old School Henstead won two categories for 3D Art.
They won first prize in Key Stage 2 with the work entitled “Night Puppet”, created by Sonny Dakin-Butler, and came first in the Key Stage 2 group category, for “Barking Dog”, created collectively by Ruby Collins, Daisy McDowell, Matthew Pelham and Clara Watson-Flowers.
“Night Puppet” was a technical as well as an artistic challenge, considering a variety of materials and the workings and articulation of the joints of an actual puppet.
The “Barking Dog” piece made innovative use of wire sculpture and papier mâché to create a large animal.
The ISA Eastern Region Art Competition is part of the nationwide art competition run by the Independent Schools Association and the winners go forward to the national final, which will be judged on November 15.
- 1 'We've had parents in tears' - The church fighting school uniform poverty
- 2 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 3 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 4 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 5 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 6 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 7 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 8 Data reveals 'inadequate' Suffolk schools starting again as academies
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
This is the third year of the competition and the third year of wins for The Old School Henstead, whose art department is headed up by Max Butcher, a Cambridge graduate and accomplished sculptor.