Henstead youngsters raise thousands for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Celebrations are under way at The Old School Henstead after pupils raised £2,529.16 by taking part in two events for CLIC Sargent.
The money was raised through a charity concert at the United Reformed Church in Southwold in May, followed by a whole school sponsored walk - the Henstead Hike - which saw all pupils from ages two-and-a-half up to 11 trekking 10 miles from the school to Nicholas Everitt Park in Oulton Broad.
The event is now an annual fundriaisng event on the school’s calendar, and pupils were treated to a celebratory barbecue at the end hosted by the Oulton Broad Yacht Club.
Joe McKinney, headmaster of the Old School Henstead said: “We are delighted to have raised so much for CLIC Sargent, because it provides such wonderful support to local families who have children undergoing treatment for cancer.
“Fundraising for this vital charity gives all members of the school community the opportunity to come together and the children have really risen to this challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
CLIC Sargent is the UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people.
Daisy Turner, the charity’s fundraising manager said: “We are so grateful to all the pupils, staff and parents for choosing to fundraise for CLIC Sargent in support of children and young people with cancer.
- 1 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 2 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 3 Tributes paid to snowdrop expert 'with a twinkle in his eye'
- 4 More fatal crashes on Suffolk roads this year already than whole of 2020
- 5 ‘World class’ Suffolk engineering company gets royal seal of approval
- 6 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 7 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea
- 8 Fire crews called to help baby seagull trapped in netting
- 9 Staff shortages in Southwold as workers isolate after Latitude Festival
- 10 Revealed: Where petrol prices are cheapest in Suffolk
“Last year, CLIC Sargent supported 70 families from Suffolk and 69 families from Norfolk by providing them with clinical, practical, financial and emotional support which is why The Old School Henstead’s fundraising is so important.”
Donations toward the cause can still be made at www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/HensteadHike2015