High school hosts maths challenge
- Credit: Archant
Bungay High School has hosted its annual Summer Maths Challenge for Year 5 students from the local area.
This year’s event, held on Thursday, June 22, took on an engineering theme.
The seven competing teams were briefed that a construction company had won a contract to repair a cathedral roof.
Youngsters had to efficiently create the scaffolding using the least materials possible, before modelling their solution using straws.
Tension was afoot when the towers were tested for their height and weight-bearing ability and, in the end, judging literally came down to the last straw.
You may also want to watch:
Petrena Sprake, the day’s organiser and the school’s Mathematics Transition Co-ordinator, said: “It was wonderful to see children from different schools working so well together. There was a real buzz of creativity.
“Many of them made new friends and we all really enjoyed the challenge.”
- 1 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 2 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 3 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 4 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 5 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 6 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 7 Man suffered double jaw fracture in Norwich bar attack
- 8 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
- 9 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
- 10 Woman's body found at Loddon home
The winners were Hannah Payne, Sasha Pallister , Billy Jordan and Charlie Loryman.