High school hosts maths challenge
- Credit: Archant
Bungay High School has hosted its annual Summer Maths Challenge for Year 5 students from the local area.
This year’s event, held on Thursday, June 22, took on an engineering theme.
The seven competing teams were briefed that a construction company had won a contract to repair a cathedral roof.
Youngsters had to efficiently create the scaffolding using the least materials possible, before modelling their solution using straws.
Tension was afoot when the towers were tested for their height and weight-bearing ability and, in the end, judging literally came down to the last straw.
You may also want to watch:
Petrena Sprake, the day’s organiser and the school’s Mathematics Transition Co-ordinator, said: “It was wonderful to see children from different schools working so well together. There was a real buzz of creativity.
“Many of them made new friends and we all really enjoyed the challenge.”
- 1 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 2 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 3 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 6 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 7 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
The winners were Hannah Payne, Sasha Pallister , Billy Jordan and Charlie Loryman.