High school hosts maths challenge
- Credit: Archant
Bungay High School has hosted its annual Summer Maths Challenge for Year 5 students from the local area.
This year’s event, held on Thursday, June 22, took on an engineering theme.
The seven competing teams were briefed that a construction company had won a contract to repair a cathedral roof.
Youngsters had to efficiently create the scaffolding using the least materials possible, before modelling their solution using straws.
Tension was afoot when the towers were tested for their height and weight-bearing ability and, in the end, judging literally came down to the last straw.
You may also want to watch:
Petrena Sprake, the day’s organiser and the school’s Mathematics Transition Co-ordinator, said: “It was wonderful to see children from different schools working so well together. There was a real buzz of creativity.
“Many of them made new friends and we all really enjoyed the challenge.”
- 1 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 2 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 5 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 6 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
The winners were Hannah Payne, Sasha Pallister , Billy Jordan and Charlie Loryman.