High school hosts maths challenge
- Credit: Archant
Bungay High School has hosted its annual Summer Maths Challenge for Year 5 students from the local area.
This year’s event, held on Thursday, June 22, took on an engineering theme.
The seven competing teams were briefed that a construction company had won a contract to repair a cathedral roof.
Youngsters had to efficiently create the scaffolding using the least materials possible, before modelling their solution using straws.
Tension was afoot when the towers were tested for their height and weight-bearing ability and, in the end, judging literally came down to the last straw.
You may also want to watch:
Petrena Sprake, the day’s organiser and the school’s Mathematics Transition Co-ordinator, said: “It was wonderful to see children from different schools working so well together. There was a real buzz of creativity.
“Many of them made new friends and we all really enjoyed the challenge.”
- 1 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 2 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 3 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
- 4 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
The winners were Hannah Payne, Sasha Pallister , Billy Jordan and Charlie Loryman.