Praise for volunteers as community outreach project marks milestone
- Credit: Archant
A community outreach project is celebrating its fourth year in Beccles.
Sharel@Step, based on Northgate, works with vulnerable people to provide emotional and practical support.
And volunteers recently received a visit from the High Sheriff of Suffolk for 2017/2018, Geoffrey Probert, to mark the milestone.
Project director Theresa Cumbers said: “We have successfully shared over four years at our premises in Beccles and we could not have achieved what we have without working in partnership with other professional organisations and the community, for which we sincerely extend our thanks.
“We have witnessed that loneliness and isolation can strike anyone at any age and can seem an enormous problem for any person to tackle on their own. We are championing a strengths-based approach to offer a safe place to meet.”
You may also want to watch:
“The visit from the High Sheriff of Suffolk was so encouraging to all. He was very interested in how effectively we engage with the whole of the community and how we ensure that we provide supportive relationships based on trust.”
The drop in centre takes in donations of secondhand furniture and also includes a tea room and a link to the Foodbank.
- 1 Dad 'relieved' after stolen car found through power of social media
- 2 Couple separated by Covid reunited for 65th anniversary
- 3 'Leisure will be back' - Beccles reacts to PM roadmap announcement
- 4 Man in 70s airlifted to hospital following fall from bike
- 5 Dog food brand's delight at launch of new range of wet food treats
- 6 Coronavirus: How busy are our local hospitals?
- 7 New lease of life for fire ravaged town centre store
- 8 Five-pronged plan for Suffolk Covid recovery to be published in June
- 9 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
- 10 Suffolk's Red Rooster music festival WILL go ahead over August Bank Holiday
Anyone who is able to spare a few hours to volunteer is welcome to pop into the shop or call 01502 341625.
For more information visit www.stepnorwich.org.uk