Praise for volunteers as community outreach project marks milestone
- Credit: Archant
A community outreach project is celebrating its fourth year in Beccles.
Sharel@Step, based on Northgate, works with vulnerable people to provide emotional and practical support.
And volunteers recently received a visit from the High Sheriff of Suffolk for 2017/2018, Geoffrey Probert, to mark the milestone.
Project director Theresa Cumbers said: “We have successfully shared over four years at our premises in Beccles and we could not have achieved what we have without working in partnership with other professional organisations and the community, for which we sincerely extend our thanks.
“We have witnessed that loneliness and isolation can strike anyone at any age and can seem an enormous problem for any person to tackle on their own. We are championing a strengths-based approach to offer a safe place to meet.”
You may also want to watch:
“The visit from the High Sheriff of Suffolk was so encouraging to all. He was very interested in how effectively we engage with the whole of the community and how we ensure that we provide supportive relationships based on trust.”
The drop in centre takes in donations of secondhand furniture and also includes a tea room and a link to the Foodbank.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 8 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 9 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 10 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
Anyone who is able to spare a few hours to volunteer is welcome to pop into the shop or call 01502 341625.
For more information visit www.stepnorwich.org.uk