Huge interest as new store seeks staff
AT least 1,000 people could be chasing just 25 jobs at a new store on the Suffolk/Norfolk border.QD Stores is taking over the former Woolworths branch at Beccles and is holding open days in the town this week as part of a recruitment drive to fill up to 25 vacancies.
AT least 1,000 people could be chasing just 25 jobs at a new store in Beccles.
QD Stores is taking over the former Woolworths branch in New Market and is holding open days in the town this week as part of a recruitment drive to fill up to 25 vacancies.
The QD team said it had received almost 1,000 enquiries about the positions via email. And about 700 people turned up at the King's Head Hotel on Wednesday to see advisers and pick up an application form.
About 250 of those went through the doors within an hour.
You may also want to watch:
QD human resources director Nick Waterman said: “We are seeing a real cross-section of people, from students to managing directors with their own companies, all looking for work. We have been handing out application forms, and we have heard a few life stories. It is very sad how many people are desperate for work.”
She added: “We have vacancies in surrounding stores, and it would be nice to take some more from this group of people. We are asking people if they are interested in full-time or part-time work and they are saying they will do anything. These people just want to work.”
- 1 Man found after going missing for 10 days
- 2 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 3 Woman's virtual head shave in memory of loved ones lost to cancer
- 4 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 5 Market town assault left victim 'quivering and shaking on the floor'
- 6 5 amazing Norfolk properties for if you win the lottery
- 7 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 8 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 9 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 10 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
Another recruitment day takes place at the King's Head today, and Mrs Waterman said the company was guaranteeing to see everyone who returned with a completed application form. The new store should open next month.