Hundreds oppose church policy of removing personal items from graves
- Credit: MANDY CLEVELAND
Hundreds of people have shown their opposition to a church’s decision to remove personal items from a graveyard ‘without warning’.
In early June, village residents shared their anger after the St Edmund’s church in Kessingland began removing personal effects from tombstones during lockdown in an effort to keep the grounds tidy.
More than 400 people have since signed a petition calling for the church to reverse the decision which is causing “a lot of pain and upset.”
The Diocese of Norwich, speaking on behalf of the church, previously said ample notice had been given from as early as February, and added no items have been disposed of so families can retrieve what has been left, in accordance with churchyard regulations.
However Liam Martin, from Kessingland, claims: “It was only over the weekend of July 10-11 that notices started to appear on graves informing relatives to remove items.
“Needless to say the relatives of those who have passed away are not happy with what has taken place.”
Speaking in June, Lee Welch who last her daughter 11 years ago, said: “The thought of someone tampering with my daughter’s grave is unbearable.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 3 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 4 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 8 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 9 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 10 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
“The way people adorn graves is often their way of processing grief, and for someone to take that option away from them is callous.”
The Norwich Diocese has now said it “understands this is a sensitive and upsetting issue” and encourages those who are affected to contact registrar Stuart Jones by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, who will make a final decision on the policy.
Those who wish to formally lodge their opinion have until Wednesday, July 22 to do so.
Mr Martin said people should also sign the change.org petition, which had 412 signatories as of Monday, July 20, to demonstrate public opinion.
He added: “One of the graves concerned was that of a very well respected and very brave resident called Frederick Hunn, a member of the Kessingland Lifeboat crew.
“There must be other graves of people who have during their lives acted like Frederick for the benefit of the community, but no respect is being shown to them with the actions that are being taken in the churchyard.”