Search

Foul play ruled out in wake of fatal house fire

PUBLISHED: 13:01 21 March 2019 | UPDATED: 13:01 21 March 2019

A man died after the blaze at the two-storey home in Ilketshall St Margaret. Picture: GRETA LEVY

A man died after the blaze at the two-storey home in Ilketshall St Margaret. Picture: GRETA LEVY

Archant

A fatal house fire which claimed the life of a man in his 80s is not being treated as suspicious.

Emergency services were called to a blaze in Low Street, in Ilketshall St Margaret at around 10.30pm on Saturday, March 16.

Police were first on the scene and forced entry to the building, rescuing a man who had been trapped inside.

A Suffolk Police spokesman said: “Fire crews arrived shortly afterwards and together with the police officers, provided initial first aid to the man until paramedics took over.

“The man - aged in his 80s - was taken by ambulance to the James Paget Hospital where he later sadly died.”

The spokesman added: “A joint police and fire service investigation has been conducted and a file will now be prepared for the coroner.”

Following news of the death earlier this week neighbours paid tribute to the “kindest man you could ever meet”.

One neighbour said: “He would always be a very independent person and would rather do something for other people, rather than himself.

“He was the best neighbour anyone could ask for.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal