International Workers Day to be celebrated at The Seagull Theatre in Pakefield
- Credit: Nick Butcher
International Workers Day is to be celebrated at The Seagull Theatre this weekend as part of the Waveney Mayday Festival.
On Sunday (April 30) from 2pm until 7pm a free Mayday Festival is being held to celebrate International Workers Day.
Labour's Euro MEP for East of England, Alex Mayer, will officially open the event at 2.30pm.
This will be followed by illustrated talks of wartime incidents in Lowestoft, presented by Chris Brooks and Bob Collis of Suffolk Pensioners Association, as well as Elizabeth Hodgkin discussing the current situation in Gaza, at 4.30pm, accompanied by a film presentation.
From 5.30pm there will be a festival revue provided by local poets, songwriters and others.
While later in the day, at 7pm, local musicians, The John Ward Band, will team up with performance poet Luke Wright for a hard-hitting show which includes Luke's recent work The Toll which will hit the stage at 8.30pm.
Tickets for this concert are £5.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 3 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 4 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 8 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 9 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 10 Investigation into fatal aircraft crash continues
All collections on the day will go towards The Seagull Theatre's Raise the Roof campaign.
RELATED STORY: Entertainment aplenty at The Seagull Theatre