Investigations continue after woman’s body is discovered in River Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Investigations are continuing today after a woman’s body was discovered in the River Waveney.
Suffolk Police were called at 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, by a member of the public who said they had seen a body in the river at Beccles.
Emergency services, including the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate, a one-way residential street backing onto the river, to assist police.
The news has shocked and saddened the Beccles community.
Town mayor Richard Stubbings said: “I was deeply saddened by the news and my thoughts and prayers are for the family she left behind.”
You may also want to watch:
Posting on Facebook, other residents said: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”
Another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 6 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 7 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 8 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
- 9 HGV driver faces trial after death of great-grandmother
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
A Suffolk Police spokesman said the death is currently being treated as unexplained and the investigation is continuing today.
A spokesman from the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We received a call to support our emergency services colleagues at 2.46pm. One rapid response vehicle and two ambulance officers attend the incident.”