Investigations continue after woman’s body is discovered in River Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Investigations are continuing today after a woman’s body was discovered in the River Waveney.
Suffolk Police were called at 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, by a member of the public who said they had seen a body in the river at Beccles.
Emergency services, including the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate, a one-way residential street backing onto the river, to assist police.
The news has shocked and saddened the Beccles community.
Town mayor Richard Stubbings said: “I was deeply saddened by the news and my thoughts and prayers are for the family she left behind.”
You may also want to watch:
Posting on Facebook, other residents said: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”
Another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
- 1 New dance academy on the lookout for members of all abilities
- 2 Three women in court charged with drug dealing offences in Bungay
- 3 Investigations continue into 'suspicious' caravan fire that 'exploded'
- 4 Vulnerable man 'who couldn't cope in prison' spared jail
- 5 New Suffolk 'get away from it all' glamping site go-ahead
- 6 Five level crossing close shaves in Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 'A proper Beccles character' - Tributes to 'gentle' father and bike shop owner
- 8 Amazing! Photo sequence shows how marsh harrier grabbed a rabbit
- 9 Walk-in Covid vaccine clinic to be held in town pharmacy
- 10 Craft ale's #MeToo moment: Are breweries equal enough?
A Suffolk Police spokesman said the death is currently being treated as unexplained and the investigation is continuing today.
A spokesman from the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We received a call to support our emergency services colleagues at 2.46pm. One rapid response vehicle and two ambulance officers attend the incident.”